fbpx

Farmers had gone to the eastern DR Congo fields when they were attacked on New Year’s Eve – an official says.

by Jan 2, 2021News0 comments

Farmers-had-gone-to-the-fields-in-eastern-DR-Congo-when-they-were-attacked-on-New-Years-Eve-an-official-says
Farmers-had-gone-to-the-fields-in-eastern-DR-Congo-when-they-were-attacked-on-New-Years-Eve-an-official-says

Farmers had gone to the eastern DR Congo fields when they were attacked on New Year’s Eve – an official says.

According to the governor in the region, farmers had gone to Tingwe village fields when attacked by the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) rebels, the governor in the area, Sabiti Njiamoja.

Some of the bodies were found by rescue teams in the bushes on Friday, he said.

Local civil society representative Bravo Muhindo confirmed more than 25 were dead, adding that many of them were beheaded.

ALSO READ: Execution of the only woman on US federal death row to commence on 12th January

Other people were kidnapped, Muhindo said.

In Beni and surrounding villages, residents have been calling for increased security due to ADF attacks in the region.

The ADF originated in neighboring Uganda and has long been a threat in eastern Congo.

The ISIL  group has claimed some attacks carried out by ADF rebels. Still, the exact relationship between the two is not clear.

Last year, a Congolese military campaign was launched against the rebels, and fighters have since dispersed and fled into various parts of eastern Congo, where dozens of armed groups fight over control of the mineral-rich land.

Rebels responded to the military offensive with increased attacks, killing more than 800 people last year. Here

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: